Freitag, 24. Januar 2014

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

DSC_3451

After finishing another Musketeer Book (Twenty years later) I needed a light read and decided on this novel by Polly Shulman. I would label this as YA, but enjoyed it nevertheless.

The story centers around Elizabeth, who starts to work at a library for things. There you can lend clothing, household items and so on for study or use. Elizabeth works as a page. Her job is to bring the objects from the different stacks to the users of the library. But there are not only normal objects. Elizabeth discovers that there are special collections like the one called "The Grimm Collection". And of course this collection leads to some unusual adventures.

I enjoyed this book very much. The library sounds like a great place and I wish I could go there and discover all the objects (Marie Antoinette's wig!). But as much as I enjoyed reading it, I had the feeling it could have been better. I know it is YA, but somehow the descriptions could have been a bit more detailed. The characters were okay, but a bit flat.

All in all I liked the book. It makes for a nice light read and the fairytale part makes up for the minor faults. I liked the main character. She did not act stupid like characters in other books, to get the story going. The concept of the book did work out and there were no gaps.

I would give this book 4/5 stars.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen