Sonntag, 28. Februar 2016

Read: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

book-759873_1920

So I admit it, up until now there was only one novel by Miss Austen that I liked, Pride and Prejudice (but to make things better it is one of my all-time favorites). I tried Emma (my first Austen in English) and Sense and Sensibility and found both so utterly boring, that I stopped reading Austen novels (except of course for P and P).

But since I have my kindle I was tempted with free books and decided to give Miss Austen another try. So October last year I started Northanger Abbey. It took me quite a while to finish it (thank you Goodreads that you remind me how slow I read nowadays), but surprisingly I really liked it. There were not too many characters to remember and I could follow the story quite well (despite reading it in English again, yes I was ambitious or stupid or both). I really liked the main character. And I liked the love story. That they get to know each other before they decide to marry and that they complement each other so well. I really don't know why this novel is not more popular. Maybe because it is not so exciting and quieter. No big misunderstandings and quarrels. I admit it is also not so funny like P and P, but even Jane Austen thought P and P was her best novel. I can't argue with that!

So if you like some old-fashioned entertainment, maybe you should try Northanger Abbey. I really enjoyed it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen